• question-icon

What does my blood test report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I went to have blood work done for a routine check up and noticed that my Thyroxine (T4) was low and at a 3.8 and my Alkaline Phosphatase, S was low at a 37. Is there any need for concern here? If so, what could it be and what do I need to do ? I have attached the blood results.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
alk phos minor change, thyroid should be repeated since others normal

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned re any abnormal results but some abnormalities are not significant.

Alkaline phosphatase can give information about different areas but it is most commonly used to look at the liver.
On your result, the proteins, bilirubin, AST, ALT, GGT, also look at the liver and these are all normal.

Because there is only a minor change in the alk phos, this would not be considered significant

In terms of the thyroid: (1) TSH is released from a part of the brain, then sends a message to the thyroid gland, causing it to release thyroid hormones.

If there are a lot of thyroid hormones, then a message goes back to the brain to decrease the TSH released (this means high thyroid hormones, T3 or T4), is normally associated with low TSH)

If there is only a small amount of hormones (T4 and T3), then a message goes to the brain that more is needed so the levels of TSH is increased (this means low thyroid hormones, T3, T4, is associated with high TSH)

This means that typically your low T4, would be associated be increase in TSH.

These should be repeated and may be monitored over a period of months since the change is only with the T4 and the other areas are normal.
Other illness can sometimes affect thyroid function levels

If the thyroid function is still abnormal with the repeat tests, then you may need imaging of the thyroid gland and a CT brain (this is only if the results remain abnormal when repeated over a period of time

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 minutes later
So basically what you are saying is that there is no cause for concern at the moment since only the t4 test was abnormal? I have been experiencing some brain fog and trouble concentrating so im not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes, can consider monitoring

Detailed Answer:
HI

Yes, for now, you can discuss with your doctor and consider repeat bloods in a few weeks.
You can discuss your options with your doctor.
If you are very concerned then you can do the imaging at this stage with your doctor but he or she would likely more prefer watch and wait.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James