What does my blood test report indicate?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: is a relative lymphocyte finding of 16% (range 19.0 - 46.0 %) and a relative neutrophil finding of (range 74.7 42.0 - 71.0 %) any cause of concern? My absolute lymphocytes were 1.0 (1.2 - 3.9 K/uL). Absolute Neutrophils were normal. Symptoms are fatigue, malaise, and joint pain.
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
depends on the total white cell count

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It would not be significant if the total white cell count is normal.

Lymphocytes and neutrophils are types of white blood cells, they are not interpreted on their own but along with the total white cell count.

Usually when there is a change in the total white cell count, the different types of white cells are then interpreted because they can help to identify the type of infection present.
The total types of white cells add up to 100%, so when one increases, there would be an associated decrease in another type. The mild increase in neutrophils is associated with a mild decrease in lymphocytes.

If there is an increase in the total white cell count, this may mean there is a bacterial or fungal infection present, if the total white cell count is normal, these changes are not likely significant

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Here is my follow-up question: does that mean lymphocytopenia is only diagnosed when the total white cell count is low?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
this is diagnosed when dips below 1 k ul

Detailed Answer:
HI

Lymphocytopenia is diagnosed when the lymphocytes are less than 1000/ul or less than 1 kul in an adult.
Your value at, 1, would not be considered lymphocytopenia, if it dips lower, then this would be considered.

In the vast majority of cases, a significant drop in lymphocytes would be reflected in the total white cell count.

In some cases, there maybe changes in the Hb and platelets as well.

With a history of fatigue, malaise and joint pain, additional tests may be needed eg ESR (looks for inflammation in the body from any source eg infection, cancer, autoimmune diseases, allergies) and thyroid function tests