What does my blood test report indicate?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: I have a 3 year old daughter. Her blood test showed red blood cells are small in size - 70.5 vs 73 which is the low end of normal range. However her iron is 121 vs the average of 101 for high and low end of the normal range. Please explain what this means and what should I do. Thanks. Marda
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I completely understand your concerns. Do not worry. The most likely reason for this can be Iron deficiency. The treatment depends upon many factors apart from S. Iron, like, Hemoglobin, S. Ferritin, TIBC and her clinical well being. If the child has any form of iron deficiency, then she will need iron rich diet and iron supplements. Most kids improve in 1-3 months.

If the iron study is perfectly normal then she will need evaluation for hemoglobinopathies if associated with anemia.

Hopefully it will be of help.
Brief Answer:
Needs complete evaluation if this is associated with anemia

Detailed Answer:
Hi
As I mentioned earlier, the information is very incomplete for any final diagnosis. You need further evaluation for complete evaluation.
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 14 minutes later
Her iron level is 121 which is on the high side. Does that mean she does not have an iron deficiency?
Her red blood cells size is 70.5 which is less than the low end(73) of range. Why is this even though iron level is on high side.
I am not understanding. Does the iron deficiency have some thing to do with iron level? Is the red blood cell size so small as to be concerned? With two pieces of available information, should I have further tests done? If yes What further tests should be done? Please reply point wise. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need evaluation if child has low hemoglobin

Detailed Answer:
Hi
She will need evaluation only if the hemoglobin is low i.e she has anemia.
- Whenever a child has anemia due to iron deficiency, the iron stores i.e. ferritin reduce first followed by increase in TIBC (Total iron binding capacity). S. iron is the last parameter to change.
- Small size of RBC can be due to other conditions as well especially hemoglobinopathies, sideroblastic anemia and lead toxicity.

Serum iron. This test measures the amount of iron in your blood. The level of iron in your blood may be normal even if the total amount of iron in your body is low. For this reason, other iron tests also are done.
Serum ferritin. Ferritin is a protein that helps store iron in your body. A measure of this protein helps your doctor find out how much of your body's stored iron has been used.
Transferrin level, or total iron-binding capacity. Transferrin is a protein that carries iron in your blood. Total iron-binding capacity measures how much of the transferrin in your blood isn't carrying iron. If you have iron-deficiency anemia, you'll have a high level of transferrin that has no iron.