What does my blood test report indicate?

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Lupus
Question: My doctor had ordered blood tests on me and it came back that I had RA in my system but he never explained or told me where it was located in my body, would you please explain to me? I also had hives and he prescribed me to take prednisone 5mg once a day.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
RA

Detailed Answer:
hello,
RA is generally diagnosed clinically, in a person who has joint pains and swelling.
most cases have a positive rheumatoid factor and an anti CCP.
so it is not located at any one particular place, these are antibodies in the blood.
however the disease preferentially attacks the joints.
regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Divya Agarwal 8 minutes later
So what happens next?
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ra

Detailed Answer:
He will start you on medication according to symptoms.
medicine generally works well.medicines for RA are called DMARDS.
These are chemical medicines which help in suppressing the symptoms like pain and swelling of joints.
They work slowly reaching full potential in a few weeks.
Some monitoring in the form of blood tests are required every month initially.