What does my blood test report indicate?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: I recently had a blood test which showed a AST of 69 and ALT of 96. The Bilirubin is 0.4 should I be concerned? I am 65ml
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it requires investigation

Detailed Answer:

these are mild to moderate elevations of transaminases (it depends on the lab's normal limits) and require investigation. Most of the times a benign etiology is discovered like fatty liver which is common in obese or overweight patients. You haven't mentioned any symptoms so I suppose you didn't have any...

In cases like yours I usually order repeat measurements of the tests including the following: AST, ALT, ALP, gamma-GT, amylase, albumin, total protein, serum protein electrophoresis, antibodies against HCV, hepatitis B surface antigen, antibodies against surface antigen, antibodies against hepatitis B core antigen (IgG and IgM), antinuclear antibodies, liver ultrasound scan. These are the basic tests to reveal the more important pathology in liver diseases.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 13 hours later
What number would be considered high and very high on these tests. Does the bilirubin indicate the liver is ok
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
the bilirubin is OK

Detailed Answer:
Your bilirubin is perfectly fine. The bilirubin is not the sole determinant of liver health.

Regarding the transaminases it depends on the lab's normal range of values, which depends on the method of measurement (the test kits).
A general rule is that any value three times higher than the upper normal limit is considered significantly elevated and usually indicates more serious causes. For example if the lab considers as normal values up to 50 then any value above 150 (x3) would be significantly elevated. Of course any value above 50 may mean something's wrong but the lower values usually mean less significant pathology.

In any case investigation is required...

Kind Regards!