question-icon

What does my blood test report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 17 May 2016
Question: Hi,
My wife gave birth to a baby girl on Mar 7, 2016 at 9:30 PM. Baby blood report showing low Random Blood Sugar and kept under Critical care unit. Attached report for reference, please provide more details on the problem and treatments for the same.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Timely intervention would ensure a favourable outcome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health Care Magic.

I have gone through your query and the attached reports.

The condition of low blood sugar is called hypoglycemia which needs to be treated with intravenous dextrose while periodic monitoring of the blood glucose level is done. If treated in the right time, it is unlikely to have any lasting negative effect and after the glucose levels normalise, the child would soon be able to feed normally on the mother's breast.

You have not mentioned that the calcium levels are also low (hypocalcemia) and I hope that calcium supplementation is also underway.

It is normal for the bilirubin levels to rise within a few days of birth. It is normal and unless above a certain level in relation to birth weight and age in days, nothing needs to be done as in his case.

Let me know in case of further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician