question-icon

What does my blood test report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 2 Dec 2015
Question: Hi,I am 32 m,I took a blood test,where in total count is 3300 cells/cumm and esr is 17 mm/ 1 hr.What dos it mean.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (40 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Viral infections, toxic reaction, chemotherapy or bone marrow abnormality

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. A low WBC count does not suffice to make a diagnosis, and usually raises suspicion for any of the following:

+Viral infections (e.g. typhoid)
+After chemotherapy: As you have not mentioned cancer in your history, this can be ruled out
+Toxic reaction: Due to toxic material being ingested, side effect of medications, etc.
+Conditions that limit the bone marrow from producing sufficient amount of white blood cells

Either way, I would recommend a visit to your doctor to check on a more elaborate scale, the possible cause for such a presentation and accordingly advise treatment. Please feel free to write to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan (24 minutes later)
Is values very low?should I worry about it?is it a mater of any serious concerns?On 12th of Nov,I had sex with a sex worker,when I was trying penetrate her condom broke,i really don't have any idea whether I was exposed to HIV or not.Will that cusae drop in wbc counts?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (11 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Not really; WBC level is not an indicator of HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir.

The values are not too low that you should be extremely concerned, but at the same time I would urge you to get yourself investigated at the earliest because you are susceptible and weak at the moment, requiring medical attention.

The WBC level cannot be related or associated with a HIV infection, and so your levels cannot indicate the presence or absence of HIV in any way sir. A level closer to the lower range of normal does not always mean there is a problem, but as I do not want to take a chance in your case, I prefer if you can visit your doctor so we can find the exact cause for your low WBC.

Please do not hesitate to write to me anytime sir, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan (6 minutes later)
Thanks a lot for your help.What about elevated esr is about 17.is that a concern?I was told that. and my ige serrum.is very high about 227.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (2 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Requisition some information sir, thank you

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir.

An elevated ESR is consistent with inflammation anywhere in the body which can again be seen in any infection or inflammation in the body, so an infection is still quite likely. I would recommend an ultrasound of your abdomen and pelvis.

High IgE levels are seen in infections, allergic reactions, and immune conditions as well.

Now that we were talking about possible HIV, I would like to ask if you were tested for it sir? If yes, then please let me know which test and on what day (After exposure) was it conducted?

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan (21 minutes later)
My exposure was 3 days ago.I don't think any tests will be conclusive this time since my exposure was just 3 days ago.plz advice can it be coz of that?Can fungul infection cuase this kind of abnormalities
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (3 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be a fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir.

Yes, no tests will be conclusive right now. I doubt that your symptoms could be because of HIV, but I would still recommend getting tested.

Fungal infection can cause most of the things with the blood picture, but not all and there should be other associated symptoms as well like:

+Itching around the genitalia
+Redness
+Rash
+Sometimes burning sensation while urinating
and a few others.

But this will also cause an elevation in WBC, not a low level.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan (13 minutes later)
I did not get you.Can it be HIV ?is ther any chance if it?I have itichiness and rashes around genital head,from 2 weeks.If I take test now,will it show if I was infected before this incident which happens 3 days ago?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (9 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Chances of course exist sir, no denying that; HIV DUO test on 28th day

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir.

Chances of course exist sir, as we are currently unsure about the sex workers HIV-status and because we cannot go about any tests in your case until at least 28 days after exposure.

A fungal infection is unlikely as it will cause a rise in your WBC level sir, not a drop. If there is itchiness and redness around the genitalia can be associated with a fungal infection sir.

If you take a test now for HIV the result will be inaccurate sir, I would recommend a HIV DUO test on the 28th day of exposure sir.

Please do not hesitate to write to me for any further clarification sir, always here to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan (9 minutes later)
If I had contracted HIV before this exposure,still the test would be inaccurate?
Brief Answer:
Testing now will help clear previous exposure, not the latest one

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

If you had contracted HIV or rather if you were exposed to HIV much before the last time you have unprotected sexual contact, and the duration is longer than 28 days, then this test would provide an accurate result only to clear the previous exposure and not the current one.

For the last exposure, we will have to go about the test only after at least 28 days sir.

Hope I have explained this in a manner best understood by you.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan