What does my blood test report indicate?
What does AST stand for and what does ALT (SGPT) stand for? Both of these were a little high.
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
AST is Aspartate transaminase and ALT is Alanine transaminase. Both are liver enzymes used in assessing liver function and pathology. Elevation can be related to medication use that are hepatotoxic, recent mono infection, alcohol intake etc.
Hepatitis profile, bilirubin levels and ultrasound abdomen pelvis should be advised. If there is evidence of fatty liver then Alcohol must be limited immediately. The liver function tests should be repeated in 4 to 6 weeks to see if they return to normal. Please consult a gastroenterologist in this regard.
Wishing you best of health
Let me know if you have any query
Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.
For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below
Dr. M.S. Khalil
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Blood test done what does the report indicate
- What are the normal values in a blood test report
- Blood test done what are the findings in the report
- Conducted blood test what does the report imply
- Done blood test what is the interpretation of this report
- What does my blood test report suggest
- Crp blood test done what does the reports indicate
- What are the findings from the childs blood test report
- Blood test done what does the reports indicate treatment measures
- What does these blood tests indicate