What does my blood test report indicate?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi, I am a 00 yr old female. My recent blood work showed an AST of 50 and an ALT of 31. All other labs (bilirubin, albumin, globulin, b12, iron) are within normal limits. My last blood work 2 yrs prior showed an AST 27 of and ALT of 19. I am 5'3, 115 lbs, active, and eat a vegetarian diet. I do enjoy 1-2 glasses of wine each night with dinner however. Is this rise in my AST level cause for concern? My doctor is going to retest my labs in 4-6 weeks, however should I be worried about alcoholic liver disease or alcoholic hepatitis?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stop wine

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.
The raised liver enzymes may be possible due to the intake of wine.
It may be a normal response and we can ideally not be sure about alcoholic liver disease till we test further with a repeat blood test, and ultrasound of the abdomen if the repeat enzymes turn out to be high.
However, I would suggest that you stop taking your wine for the duration.
I hope that the information contained in this message will be able to help you find the best solution for your problem. Best of luck. Dr Mittal.