What does my blood test report indicate?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: I was having fever and body pain since last week. Yesterday CBC and vidal was done.The total WBC Count is 12300/cmm and platlet count is 131000/cm.
In vidal test S.typhi O Antigen is 1:320 and S.typhi

from last week.
The
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
typhoid fever.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

I have seen the report you attached which is suggestive of typhoid fever.

You will have to take antibiotics (cephalosporins in combination with quinolones preferable) with other symptomatic treatment like anti-pyretics and antacids.

If there is high titer (as in your case which is 1:320) is positive in widal test then this antibiotics should be given in double dosage for at least 15 days and follow up is taken after repeating widal test after 7 days.

I generally give my patients tab.levofloxacin 750 mg and tab.cefixime 400 mg with other symptomatic drugs and strict liquid diet.

Initially only liquid diet for 3 to 5 days then if response is good, then you can go for soft diet till the completion of treatment as diet is also a important factor during this treatment.

Also,the main concern is not only treatment but to prevent relapse and to prevent carrier state by giving proper antibiotics dosage and duration.

So,It would be advisable to see physician immediately who will know about it.

Hope this will help,feel free to ask if you need more clarifications.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj