What does my blood test report indicate?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I just had my blood work done and my ALT went up t0 98 was 31 two years ago. My AST went up to 74 which was 35 two years ago. I have been taking 2 advil and 2 tylenol daily for pain in my jaw where I have titanium plate. Also have been taking the weight loss pill Alli three times a day. I also have wine for dinner every night. The two differences in my diet are the tylenol and advil, plus the Alli. Could these be the reason for my rise in count?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
all of them may cause rises...

Detailed Answer:

wine, advil, alli and tylenol may all cause mild to moderate rises in serum transaminases. Another common cause is fatty liver which involves mostly the obese (or overweight), the diabetics and those who drink alcohol regularly...

I usually suggest to my patients to do some basic tests like an ultrasound scan of the liver (which may detect fatty liver or other structural pathology), repeat tests of the transaminases and ALP (alkaline phosphatase) and gamma-GT. Your clinical status is important. If you have symptoms all of the above have to be done fast and complemented by other tests like infectious hepatitis antibodies and antinuclear antibodies. If you have no symptoms then doing another test a month later would probably be more appropriate. Many liver enzymes need at least one month to get lower because of their long half lives.

So in conclusion, I would suggest cutting down on everything (alcohol and the drugs) and doing the basic tests to identify the cause, if possible.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!