What does my blood test report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: my creatinine is 127, mdrd is 48, urea is 7.9 and CK is 302. I am 74, other blood tests were relatively normal.
I have never had a heart attack or stroke. I do find it a little awkward to get up from the floor, if I am sitting on the floor. I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand. I can walk quickly but occasionally a little ataxic.
What can this be and is it serious?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not serious requires some investigation

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic.
I have read your question and reports. Your creatinine and urea levels are normal in micromol/L according to your age.

Your problem with difficulty in standing from sitting and mild ataxia may be normal age related changes. But some investigations are required to evaluate regarding myopathy. Metabolic causes like decreased vit D3 levels are most common in this age group. Some hip joint arthritis may also present with such symptoms. I will advice you to consult a physician or neurologist and undergo some investigations like serum Vit D 3 levels, Calcium, Phophate and SALP, blood sugar, vit B12 levels. Other test may be planned like DEXA scan for bone health.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do contact for further query.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 45 minutes later
Two of the test results came in yesterday: Vit B12 780 pmol/l (high)
Blood sugar--Morning Glucose 5.2mmol/l (within limits)

What is SALP? So that I understand the test

My BNP was 6 pmol/l. What does that mean?
The D-Dimeertest was 780 ug/l What does this test tell us?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to consult physician or neurologist for proper examination,evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Vit B 12 levels more than cut off is not of much significant as it only suggests supplementation in some form. Its high level is not harmful as it is excreted in urine as it is water soluble.
Blood sugar level is in normal range so nothing to worry.
SALP stands for serum alkaline phosphatase which arises in liver disease and metabolic bone disease.
Your BNP (B‐type natriuretic peptide) is also normal. It is a marker used for cardiac assessment especially left ventricle.
Only report of concern is raised D-dimer. It can increase with age also but other causes have to be ruled out.The common causes for raised D dimer are inflammation, malignancy, trauma, postsurgical treatment, liver disease (decreased clearance), and heart disease.
Are you consulting some doctor as these investigations are not routinely advised until some clue or suspicion of a disease arises.
Get back with investigations advised previously. You need to visit a physician or neurologist for detailed evaluation and examination.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist