What does my blood test report indicate?

Diabetologist
Question
Hello Doctor,

I have been diagnosed with DM Type 2. I am on Glyciphage 1000 mg twice daily and Lipaglyn one tablet (before break fast). I am also on Stamlo 5.
I had my blood sugar tested recently.
The following are the results :
- FBS : 128 mg/deciliter
- PP : 158 mg/deciliter
- Hb1Ac : 5.7
Chloestrol is normal except for the triglycerides which is 107.
I have the following questions :
- Why the FBS and PP is not within the normal prescribed limit in spite of the Hb1Ac within limit ?
- Can I continue to use the Lipaglyn which is known to control the lipids level along with the sugar level ?
- Is there any change in medication required ?

Thanks for your reply,
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue the same medication.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir, I had gone through your query and understood your concerns.

Sir, Your HbA1c value which is the average sugar value for the last 3 months is absolutely normal. The FBS and PPBS values depend on one particular day's diet and activity, though the medication is same. So, there could be slight ups and lows in FBS and PPBS values in varied days. Your values are almost normal for FBS and PPBS.

Your average blood sugar(HbA1C) value is absolutely under control. So, you don't nee any change in medication.

Lipaglyn can be continued.

Hope this guides you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can please close the discussion and rate the answer. Thank you.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.

Follow-up: What does my blood test report indicate? 9 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor. I have the following follow up questions.
- Can i continue to use Lipaglyn permanently or do i have to discontinue after a while . ? I understand this is arelatively new medication. Are there any known side-effects of long term treatment of Lipaglyn ? Are there any tablets with same formulation which i can use rather than lipaglyn which is slightly on the expensive side ?

Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be stopped after dyslipidemia is controlled

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir, welcome back. Lipaglyn is a new drug for treating Diabetic Dyslipidaemia or Hypertriglyceridemia in Type II diabetes.

Lipaglyn was well tolerated and had a better safety profile than the comparators. There are no registered side effects as of now. Its considered as wonder drug as on today in treating Diabetic Dyslipidaemia, a condition where a person is diabetic and has elevated levels of the total cholesterol, the “bad” low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and the triglycerides and a decrease in the “good” high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol concentration in the blood.

Once they are all brought under control, then the drug can be stopped after discussing with treating doctor.

Yes, it is a bit expensive because of high effectiveness and no side effects.

If you want less expensive ones, though not same formulation, you can also try Statin group like rosuvastatin, which were also meant for reducing dislipidemia condition.

Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.

Follow-up: What does my blood test report indicate? 2 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Thanks for your follow up answers. The following are my blood report before and after adding Lipaglyn. Before adding Lipaglyn I was only on Glyciphage.

Lipid Details Before LipaGlyn After LipaGlyn
Cholestrol 211.8 179.0
Sr HDL 45.0 44.9
Sr Triglycerides 169.8 128.9
Sr VLDL (Calc) 34 25.8
Sr LDL 124.8 107.0
Chol/HDL 4.72 3.98
LDL/HDL 2.78 2.38
HB1AC 6.64 5.64

I am on LipaGlyn for two months. Earlier I was only on Glyciphage 1gm twice daily
As can be seen from above results the elevated level of cholestrol and triglycerides have been controlled after adding Lipaglyn. Also adding Lipaglyn also has helped in better controlling the sugar. In view of the same I have the following questions :
- If I discontnue the Lipaglyn what are the chances the diabetic Dislypediamia may recur ?
- Since Lipaglyn has helped in controlling the sugar level can I continue this drug ? Can it cause hypoglycemia ? Does long term treatment of Lipaglyn can cause hypoglycemia ?
- A very general question. If my blood sugar hovers around 120 to 130 (FBS) and 160 to 175(PP) would it cause harm in the long run ? What would be the ideal values for an average XXXXXXX ?

Thanks for the answers,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ideal FBS is 70-110mg/dl. and PPBS less than 140

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir, welcome back.

The progress is good. You can continue the lipaglyn for 1 more month and discontinue following the guidelines:

1.     High fibre diet, green leafy vegetables, fruit.
2.     Cut down the processed food. White bread, doughnuts, white sugar, pizza should be completely avoided.
3.     A 40 minute physical activity every day like morning walk, evening walk or a visit to the gym or swimming pool.

Lipaglyn doesn't cause hypoglycemia.

The ideal FBS level is 70-110mg/dl. and PPBS less than 140mg/dl. Try to maintain HbA1C at around 6.5%. less than 7.0%.

Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.