Ask a Urologist   »  

What does my biopsy report indicate?

Question
I am 74 years old in good health but have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. If I have a radical
Prostatectomy what are my chances of having to be permanently catheterized? Is there any percent of this happening? (I am not concerned about loss of erections. )
My Psa is 7.1
Biopsy of 8 locations with 4 benign, 2 with XXXXXXX score 6, 1 with XXXXXXX score of 3+4=7.
" perineural invasion is present. 27% total biopsy length. 3mm.
Digital examination shows no problems.
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normally you have the catheter for 2 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thank you for posting in Health Care Magic.

In your situation, with the result of the XXXXXXX scale staging it is better if you have a radical prostatectomy.

After the surgery normally you may have the catheter for 2 weeks, and after two weeks most of the patients dont have catheter, although for months they struggle with very frequent urination.
The chances to have a catheter for life (permanently) are very little, of course they depend on the surgeon and how the surgery goes on.

If you have other questions, please feel free to post them.

Dr. Eni