• question-icon

What does my biopsy report indicate?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in General Health
Question: Since we last spoke, some of my symptoms have improved dramatically. I no longer have the feel of burning or heat so strongly in my chest and belly. It is quite minimal now.

Some problems have not improved, however. I have not gained back any weight, although I have been increasing what I have been eating. Also, the feeling of weakness in my arms and legs is slightly worse. Also, I get an ache in my back, where my kidneys are intermittently during the day.

I had a biopsy of my small intestine May 26th, which revealed that I have duodenal intraepithelial lymphocytosis.

Why I have this problem, or what I am going to do about it, I don’t know, because I was only able to talk to the nurse for a few minutes to get the results.

(They had previously done a blood test for coeliac disease, with negative results.)

Can you give me some insight into this problem?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up query.

Detailed Answer:
Hi There,
Thanks for query.
Sorry for a bit delayed reply.

As per your concerns-
Duodenal intraepithelial lymphocytosis, is a condition where an increased number of intra-epithelial lymphocytes is seen in biopsies of the duodenal mucosa when these are examined microscopically.
Most commonly this is encountered in celiac disease but as your biopsy for celiac is normal there can be other possible causes like auroimmune enteropathy, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
Earlier you were having severe heart burn and gastritis.This finding is also seen in cases where gastritis is due to infection by bacterium H.Pylori. So my suggestion would be that initially you should go for endoscopy.Endoscopy requires the use of a device called endoscope to look for a possible H. pylori infection.

Any further advice can be given only after endoscopy is done.
However frankly speaking as you are celiac disease negative.There is no need to worry.
Has colonoscopy been ever done on you?
Have you tried the medications i adviced previously?
please mention all medicine and their doses.

Hope i answered your query well.
Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 38 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX
I had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy on the 26th of May, which was when they did the biopsies. Their endoscopy findings were that my esophagus was normal. There was normal mucosa in the entire stomach. Normal mucosa in the first and second part of the duodenum.

The colonoscopy found the examined portion of the ileum was normal. Normal mucosa in the entire examined colon. The examination was otherwise normal on direct and retroflexion views.

The gastroenterologist gave me a prescription for Dicyclomine 10mg. I did not have time to ask him about the drugs you recommended before I had the endoscopy and a colonoscopy.

Would my gastritis show as inflammation in the stomach? Even if I had only been experiencing it for a few weeks?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for follow up,
The stomachs lining gets inflamed, irritated, or eroded in gastritis.So yes if there is gastritis it would definitely show inflammed mucosa on endoscopy.However mild short term gastritis or dyspepsia can't be appreciated in endoscopy as there is no major inflammation.
Duodenal intraepithelial lymphocytosis, in your case has no significance as colonoscopy and endoscopy are both normal.

Hope i answered your query well.

Thanks.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist