What does my audiometry test report indicate?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My age 63F. I had a vertigo attack twice in a span of two months. I suffered from head spinning for some time followed by vomiting couple of times. Investigation report shows that MRI scan is normal but audiometry test shows moderate hearing loss in left ear and air pressure difference between right and left ear. It was suspected that this triggered vertigi. I have been prescribed 24mg of vertin thrice daily with stemetil. I am on these drugs for more than a month now. Does it have side effect if consumed for a long period?

I have uploaded the audiometry test report

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
no deleterious side effects

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
I have gone through your query and also the reports you attached.
About the audiometry they are right that imbalance caused due to both ear diffrences causes vertigo.
Regarding MRI and other reports also have been noted and nothing of significant diagnostic value has been found.
Vertin and stemetil are used for vertigo and to prevent nausea.
I feel if you are on vertin and vertigo is prevented then keep stemetil for SOS use only ie. Whenever required.
Vertin is relatively safe drug with only dryness of mouth as side effect. So no long term use side effects which are deleterious to health.
I feel you can slowly taper off vertin also and stop it eventually as directed by your doctor.
Stemetil can be taken as and when required only.
I hope I have answered your query well.
If you have any questions kindly ask me back will be happy to answer them.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 14 hours later
Many thanks for your suggestions. I would like to know if there is any remedy to rectify the imbalance clinically? Should I keep using this drug to prevent any further attack? Please advice.
Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ask your ENT doctor for Epley's maneuver.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, you are very much welcome.
Usually after completing course of vertin tablet, many patients feel better and the symptoms go away.
But the basic problem arises due to imbalance of fluid present in inner ear.
So, for stabilizing that there is a maneuver called as Epley maneuver.
Its basically a technique by which the inner ear fluid is balanced and vertigo can be prevented. There is no known reason why this happens suddenly (imbalance part), but this maneuver may help.
Usually ENT doctors known about this and are able to do it in right way.
So continue this tablet for further prevention of attack and meanwhile talk to your doctor if above said advice can help.
I hope I have given you satisfactory advice.
If you have any further questions kindly ask.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 33 minutes later
Thanks you so much for your prompt reply. I shall contact the ENT specialist regarding Epley maneuver. For any further query i shall get back to you in future.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are very much welcome.
Wish you good health.
I will always make myself helpful.
Thank you. Leave a review for me if you like.