What does my abdominal scan test report indicate?

Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: in abdomen scan it was found that in post void urination there was urine retention of about 77ml. and there is no other problem . I have to say that i had taken USS on the second day of my treatment for UTI,I am on veltam 0.4mg for an year appr.
Answered by Dr. Rishi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
With UTI it would be difiicult to comment on this report. Repeat after UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
The post void urine volume of 77ml is not worrisome considering your age and that you are suffering from UTI.
I suggest you complete your treatment of the UTI and after about three to four weeks get a repeat USS done and also a Serum PSA(a blood test). This will tell us whether you have any prostate problem leading to urinary obstruction. As it is, if you do not have any problems of urination and you do not have any frequency, urge or obstruction then it is highly unlikely for you to have any prostate problems.
UTI is a fairly common problem and you need not worry about it. Any tests you do with UTI would be faulty therefore the waiting period is prescribed.
Take care and do let me know if there are any queries that I can try and resolve.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 10 hours later
Does urine retention cause UTI and what are the different causes for contracting UTI?. what should be normal size of Prostrat glands at this age of mine?
Answered by Dr. Rishi 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
UTI can be due to many causes.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Urinary retention does lead to UTI. The normal prostate size should be between 24 and 40gms.
There are many causes for UTI. It can be due to urine stasis or blockage due to stones, prostate enlargement, general bed ridden status of ill patients, infections contracted by sexual route, kidney infections due to generalised infections in blood, etc.
Your post void residue which is high could be due to infection or prostate enlargement or both. But we can say with certainty only once the infection is clear. before that it would be difficult to comment with certainty.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX