What does my X-ray test result indicate?

Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi doctor. I have some impressions of my x Ray that idon't understand and have begun to worry me. It says that there is subtle thoracolumbar kyphosis due to a compression deformity of t 12 with approximately 20% loss of anterior height of undeterminate age. Also partial sacralization of l 5. Mild disc damage of t12 and l 1. Wedging of l1 that is likely transitional and mild sacroiliac hostheoarthritis. I am 30 years old and my symptoms are pain in buttocks when sitting for a long time such as in plane ride. The pain radiates to leg in left side. And muscle spasms all around the back. Also pain when standing for long time. There have veen times where i feel a tricking tingling feeling in calf and even see some bruising after plane rides. However an ultrasound 6 months ago ruled out a blood clot. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hence the nerve (or nerve root) or its blood supply is likely compressed

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthCareMagic.com I am Dr.J XXXXXXX Anto Bruno Mascarenhas. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

You have the following symptoms
1. Pain in Buttocks when sitting for long time
2. Pain Radiating to Left Leg
3. Muscle Spasms around the back
4. Pain when Standing for Long time
5. Tricking Tingling feeling in Calf

The Partial Sacralisation of L5 vertebra may have led to narrowing of the foramen on left side. In Plain English this means, that the pathway through which the nerve (or nerve root) travels is reduced. Hence the nerve (or nerve root) or its blood supply is likely to be compressed. This causes the Symptoms Mentioned above

To Proceed
We have to do
1. Clinical Examination
2. Nerve Conduction Studies of both lower limbs
3. MRI LS Spine

Based on the findings in the above evaluations, we will proceed with appropriate treatment

Hope you found the answer helpful.

If you need any clarification / have doubts / have additional questions / have follow up questions, then please do not hesitate in asking again. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery
Let me know if I can assist you further.

-oOo-

PS 1 : After all your doubts have been cleared, kindly (a) Close this Question (b) Rate my Replies and (c) Give your Feedback.

PS 2 : In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly in HealthCareMagic at http://bit.ly/askdrbruno
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 16 minutes later
Ok, thank you. I then need to see a physiatrist or an orthopedic doctor for these tests? And should inworry about the compression deformitynon t12 or could that be related to a fall or trauma? I was just reading up on compression of t12 and got scared that it could be due to a tumor. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest that you consult a Neurosurgeon

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Welcome Back

Q1 : I then need to see a physiatrist or an orthopedic doctor for these tests?
A1 : I would suggest that you consult a Neurosurgeon since the problem is with nerves

Q2 : And should inworry about the compression deformitynon t12 or could that be related to a fall or trauma? I was just reading up on compression of t12 and got scared that it could be due to a tumor.
Q2 : It is mostly like due to an old trauma. However, there is a slim chance that it can be also due to tumors. MRI and PET Scans will tell with certainty that it is due to Trauma so that you can stop worrying about tumors

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery

-oOo-