What does my X-ray report indicate?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi Doctor, I had a mild chest pain couple of weeks ago and I went to consult a cardiologist. He got an ECG done and said everything was fine and the pain was possibly due to Gas. He suggested I get a few preventive tests done including a stress ECHO, lipid, HBa1c, KFT, LFT etc. I took a preventive health package which in addition to the above prescribed tests, also included chest X-ray. I received my reports yesterday and everything is normal except in the X-ray which says “Fibrotic Band seen in Lower left left zone. I have a smoker but have no symptoms of breathlessness, weight loss etc. I am perfectly healthy otherwise. Please advice how should I proceed. Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of healed fibrotic Scar is more likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Fibrotic lesion in lung is mostly due to old healed Scar.
Yoi might be having previous lung infection (pneumonia or tuberculosis) which is healed with drugs.
Almost all healed lung infection produce fibrotic lesions and these are seen life long.
Nothing should be done for fibrotic lesions if patient is asymptomatic.
Sometimes smoking itself causes fibrotic lesions in lung.
So in my opinion, you should first quit smoking as soon as possible.
Get done CT thorax first.
Please let me know
1. Do you have any lung infection (tuberculosis or pneumonia) in past?
2. Exactly where is your chest pain? I mean right or left?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 days later
Thanks doctor for your quick revert. Since, I did not have any symptoms related to the finding around “Fibrotic Band in Lower left zone”, I went for another chest x-ray. I received the report today and it said “Both Lung fields show prominent broncho-vascular markings”. Everything else is normal. I have been a smoker for around 15 years and have quit smoking 1 year ago. I had very regular cough problem for 2-3 years till I quit smoking. Unfortunately, I never consulted a doctor during those 2-3 years and always got rid of the cough with home remedies or at XXXXXXX “Honitus Syrup. Since I have quit smoking, the regular cough problem has almost gone.
I had a chest pain issue couple of weeks ago due to which I went to meet a cardiologist. The pain was more like a “tightness of the chest” and I felt the pain both in the front and the back and suspected problem with the heart. All test (ECG, Stress ECHO, Hba1c, LFT, KFTetc etc is Normal, except deficiency in Vitamin D). I have never had TB or Pneumonia in the past (at least not one that was detected).
I am suspecting I am having issues around Bronchitis for a few years and since it has been unattended, it has possibly left some scars on the lungs.
Kindly advice what should I do next.

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get done PFT.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Yes, possibility of chronic bronchitis is more likely.
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
PFT will not only diagnose bronchitis but it will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment is based on severity only.
You may need inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol and tiotropium).
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana