What does my X-ray report indicate?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi my child has adenoids she is 6years old.after seeing the X-ray report ent doctor has Advised to go for surgery ASAP.is it compulsory that we go for surgery or antibiotics can help in anyway?and how much does surgery cost in XXXXXXX .
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends upon the severity of the symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and have checked the attached X Ray. Let me ask you why you needed to go to the doctor. The X ray shows enlarged adenoids. But unless these are causing significant respiratory obstruction or recurrent respiratory infections (more than 7 times a year for 3 years), surgical intervention is not indicated. That is the reason I need to know why you went to the doctor. I would also like to mention that the adenoids gradually regress in size from about 7 years of age and so unless the problem is severe you need not go for surgery.

The cost of surgery in XXXXXXX is a very variable entity. In government setup you could get the surgery for free, in certain private setups it would be around Rs.15,000 while in others it could be between Rs.50,000. So, you would need to talk to your doctor about this.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 27 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.we have consulted the doctor as we observed following symptoms

Breathing through the mouth instead of the nose during night times
Nose sounds "blocked" when the she speaks
Regular cold
Snoring at night
Excessive mucus formation
Is there is any chance of reducing adenoids by using antibiotics
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get a second opinion

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. The snoring and blocked nose sounds could indicate obstruction of respiratory tract and that could call for surgery. However, it would possibly be a good idea to get a second opinion.

It is not possible to get relief from the use of antibiotics.