Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

195 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What does my X-ray report indicate?

Answered by
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1995

Answered : 2386 Questions

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My chest Xray shows sizeable pleural effusion,
or pneumothorax. I had pneumonia in January, have shortness of breath, suffer from asthma since a child. I am 78
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please attach Xray chest.

Detailed Answer:
To diagnose whether it is Pneumothorax or Pleural effusion, Xray chest PA view has to be seen.
Pneumothorax is collection of air in the pleural space which occurs in trauma or rupture of emphysematous bulli. Pleural effusion is collection of fluid in the pleural space.X ray findings are different in both cases.
Please attach Xray chest film and report for further clarification.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Frontal and lateral views of the chest are submitted for review. The cardiac
silhouette is normal in size. Generalized interstitial prominence is present
without superimposed focal airspace consolidation, sizeable pleural effusion,
or pneumothorax. Trachea is midline. Lungs are hyperinflated suggestive of
underlying chronic lung disease. Osseous structures and soft tissues are
grossly intact. Multilevel degenerative endplate spurring of the thoracic
spine with bridging osteophytes
Dont have xray
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CT scan of chest will give accurate diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
As per your description, the report is not clear.
There will be response for Pneumothorax /Pleural effusion with Intercostal tube.
CT scan of the chest will give accurate diagnosis.
Please consult a Chest physician /Pulmonologist and proceed further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78 years old and very active. eat healthy, Take a staten and low dose blood pressure and lots of vits daily

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some organs or the muscles where may be some inflammation. I have taken X-ray , gone through CT-Scan and Lever test and as per the direction of a hospital but they could not find out anything wrong. I am 53 year old.