What does my RNA test report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 12 Mar 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I had unprotected sex with a women (three weeks ago) and on the 6th day after sex I took the RNA test with the following result: Negative for HIV-1 RNA. Should I retake the exam later? What are my chances this is a false negative?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Less than 0.5%

Detailed Answer:
hi and welcome. Chances for false negative RNA test after 6 days is less than 0.5%. it means that only 1 in 200 tests is false negative. So I don't think that retesting is required but to be 100% sure you should do it after 3 weeks.also,other stds may occur as well,not only HIV which is rare. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon