What does my MRI test result indicate?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Back Pain
Question: I had a herniated disc and surgery three years ago. The MRI showed the disc pinching the nerves and even today the outside third of my leg and foot are numb. I also get cramps in the leg primarily in the calf but sometime in the thigh as well. I cannot sleep on my back, jump (playing volleyball or basketball), snorkel with flippers - essentially anything that points my toe down causes it to cramp. I walk and bike and that seems to help. Are there any additional things I can do to alleviate this? I would prefer to avoid medication, but want an active life and it's becoming more and more difficult.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs a repeat neurosurgeon review and supportive therapy

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through. Based on the history you have shared, it seems as if you have already been through alot. I can understand the troubles you have been facing lately and your frustration is quite understandable.

Since the surgical intervention hasn't worked well for you and obviously you would have tried alot of pain medications already. We need to understand one thing here and that is failure rates does exist in every therapeutic option and none offers hundred percent recovery rates and so does the neurosurgery is the only resort to the permanent solution is to either decrease or release the presume on the nerves which have been pressed and this is only possible with a surgery. You need to have a repeat neurosurgeon opinion and you can have a second opinion regarding that too to decide whether to go for another surgery or not.

Meanwhile pain medications which are safer for stomach and kidneys and in limmited amounts is almost unavoidable. Since you would have tried OTC analgesics already you can switch to nerve pain masking agents like duloxetine or gaba pentins. Only other resort could be physiotherapy and back muscles strengthening excercises which may help to keep posture stable and reduce such pains and that can be discussed with a physiotherapist.

Other option can be a nerve block which can be given by an anesthetic with close liason with a pain medicine specialist. Meanwhile keep using supplements for B12, D3, calcium and folic acid.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D