What does my MRI scan test report indicate?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Back Pain
Question: Had an MRI paid privately and need to consult with a surgeon. Findings: Moderate to large size region of high grade partial-thickness and full thickness articular cartilage irregularity and loss within the central weight-bearing surface of the medial femoral condyle distending over a distance of 2.3 x 1.7cm. There is significant underlying subchondral edema through the medial femoral condyle. No discrete subchondral insufficiency fracture is visible. Can you explain it in English and what needs to be done? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Degenerative osteoarthritis likely.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the attached report. The irregular and deficient articular cartilage is suggestive of degenerative changes in the knee joint due to wear and tear. The subchondral edema is an inflammatory change and the joint effusion and Baker's cyst are also suggestive of age related degeneration of the joint.
For osteoarthritis, weight reduction is the main treatment along with medicines to decrease pain like NSAID's - paracetamol, aceclofenac etc., Life style modifications like avoiding sitting cross legged, squatting, using XXXXXXX type toilets will decrease the rate of progression of osteoarthritis. Exercises like quadriceps strengthening, swimming, straight leg raising will help in improving the muscle strength around the knee and will help in decreasing pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Do you think surgery is required at this point? This is not 4 weeks and other than some of the swelling going down the knee pain and ability to bend has not changed? What would you suggest. I just paid for my own MRI so I would not have to wait and need to work.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is not immediately needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The need of surgery in osteoarthritis depends on the extent of pain and disability and the improvement that is expected with the help of medicines. This needs a regular clinical monitoring of the symptoms. Usually with such changes in knee joint like yours, surgery is not immediately needed.
Generally physiotherapy for your quadriceps muscle with straight leg raising and knee mobilisation will improve your muscle strength and will decrease the progression of arthritis.

Life style modifications like avoiding stairs, squatting, sitting cross legged & cycling will also help in reducing your symptoms. Reducing weight is of prime importance if you are overweight. If the pain is severe, you can take few doses of NSAID's (Ibuprofen) or physiotherapic modalities like IFT to relieve your pain.
Your orthopedician will guide you regarding the same.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
Thank you again. I should have added this last time. I am not overweight and am extremely fit. I train fitness classes everyday. And I was squatting with weight when this occurred. I actually did not feel this when it happened although my knee joint was tight the day I know it happened. 3 days later I could not bend it. I am fit, and have been squatting with 115kg for many repetitions so I have strong quadriceps. I feel extreme pressure on both sides of my knees and behind the knee when trying to squat deep that has not changed at all in 4 weeks. Sorry to bother again, I will finish now.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anti inflammatory medicines will help.

Detailed Answer:
If you are extremely fit and the muscles are well toned then this will heal soon with rest and proper anti inflammatory medicines. Using a knee brace will help in providing rest to the knee.
Regards.