• question-icon

What does my MRI scan test report indicate?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Have been having some Vertigo with bouts or ringing in ear left side, Did a hearing test slight loss in left side not bad but some. Recommended an MRI of XXXXXXX with and without contrast and ear. Link below to movies of MRI.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=00000000=sharing
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No pathologic finding visible

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for coming to our site again for your health related issues.

I saw those MRI movies. I must confess that I would have preferred it if you had uploaded them as images (there is a dicom folder inside the disc, zip it in a single file and could upload it), was a little unsettling to view them as movies.

Anyway I do not see any brain lesion to cause those symptoms. The reason MRI was recommended was to exclude an issue such as a brain tumor or a vascular malformation compressing the acoustic nerve. Based on those images there doesn't seem to such an issue, the cause should be sought in the ear itself such as Meniere's disease, infections like labyrinthitis etc.

I wonder if you have the MRI report. I would appreciate you letting me know if the radiologist report noticed something I have missed.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 26 minutes later
I sent the report did it go through
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Report came through, confirms my initial opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hello again. Yes your report came through. It came through literally seconds after I had submitted my answer so was not possible to change it.

Anyway no surprises in the report. It confirms there is no particular finding to justify the symptoms you described, none of the pathologies I mentioned above to cause hearing changes and vertigo.

The mild microvascular changes it mentions are often found as years go by, changes to the smallest blood vessels. They do not cause any symptoms unless very advanced, certainly not the symptoms you mention, are a coincidental finding. They do not warrant any treatment in themselves just pay more attention for the possibility of issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, high cholesterol etc, if present address them as they are risk factors which damage blood vessels and accelerate such changes of small blood vessels.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist