What does my MRI scan test report indicate?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor,
Further to our discussion, we did MRI on recommendation of our local Orthopedic surgeon. I am also uploading the report on the website.
The impression is:
Bilateral chronic sacro-ilitis? inflammatory etiology/ ankylosing spondylitis
Right ovarian simple cyst measuring 3.5 x 3.7 x 2.8

(this cyst is there for about 5 years now (was detected during pregnancy but the Gynac did not suggest any operation).

Thanks,
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cannot agree diagnosis Ankylosing spondylitis yet. Please upload Xray MRI

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Ankylosing spondylitis is an autoimmune disorder affecting the muscle and tendon insertion sites, hip joint arthritis, Sacroiliac arthritis.

Knee joint is usually not involved unless there are other comorbities like obesity, Diabetes.

Sacroiliac arthritis or Sacroilitis is arthritis of the joints between the big hip bones at the back. This is also an important cause of back pain.

There should also be osteophytes in the spine. I would greatly appreciate if you could upload Xrays and MRI for my review.

Ankylosing spondylitis is defined also when there are bony growths in the spine.

Fortunately the pain can resolve with pain killers like Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day or if it is not getting relieved, we can get a Sacroiliac joint injection with steroid and anaesthetic which will offer long time relief for few months.

I will comment on the treatment once you upload the reports. Till then, kindly continue with the mentioned treatment. Avoid bending forward and lifting weights. Hot water bag useful for relief.

If I find osteophytes in the Xray or MRI, I will then only agree with the diagnosis of Ankylosing spondylitis.

Nothing to be done to the ovarian cyst in my opinion, unless she has lower abdominal pain.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 17 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Sincere thanks for such prompt answer. By uploading the report, I assume, you mean the white paper report. I am sending the MRI report through healthcare support team (technical issues in uploading through website). There was no X-ray done.

Thanks again,
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cannot diagnose Ankylosing spondylitis without seeing Spine

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Thanks for updating the report.

The MRI Scan only indicates Sacroiliac arthritis both sides. There is no mention of hops being involved or spine, because you haven't been asked to get MRI Spine.

I would advise a Lumbosacral spine Xray to look for features of Ankylosing spondylitis like osteophytes in the ligaments in front of the spine. Then only we can say it is Ankylosing spondylitis disease.

Kindly continue the treatment I have mentioned. No weigh lifting, hot pack application on both sides of the lower back and pain killers.

Kindly get the Xray lumbosacral spine and revert back to me.

Dr. Aashish Raghu