What does my MRI scan test report indicate?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I've had an mri scan on my spine it has come back abnormal with explanations that I do notnderstand, I am 42 male and have ehlers-danlos syndrome, autonomic dysfunction, low bp, postural orthotic tachycardia syndrome, previous dissection lad and left carotid brain aneurysm 3-4cm dilated.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herniated disc disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question, MRI of lumbar spine too, and understand your concerns.

Findings of the lumbar MRI are consistent with herniated disc disease, more precisely at L5-S1 level.

One part of the disc at this level has protruded and migrated above into the spinal canal, with a small part of this disc that is ruptured from main disc and compressed the spinal cord.

The remainder is normal.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 27 minutes later
Hi thank you for your detailed reply, Is this dangerous if I have a piece of disc in my spinal cord? Will I need surgery and will this condition worsen, many thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery when conservative treatment fails.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Most common problem caused by herniated disc disease is the pain that it causes.

In rare advanced cases there is paralysis of a nerve due to chronic compression.

In your case, regarding to MRI results, seems to be not a dangerous condition.

Surgery is indicated when conservative treatment possibilities such NSAID, physical therapy, spinal injections are exhausted and failed to improve your symptoms.

First, discuss with your primary care Doctor about conservative treatment ways.

Hope I helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar