What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 3 Oct 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello Doctors,

Just curious if drinking something like root beer that causes middle/sometimes one sided back pain is something less serious (like reflux or ibs) or if it could be a sign of cancer or something of that nature?

I had an abdominal MRI done some months ago and everything came back normal. I've noticed at times too that my right and left upper abdomen will sting at times, along with a persistent nagging right upper pain that is relieved by adding pressure. I've brought up the recurring RUQ pain that's been occurring for over 1.5 years now to my GI doc and he didn't think it was cancerous.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care for gastric discomfort.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Pain in right upper quadrant and back after beer and other stimulant food is not cancer. Its a very common manifestation of Irritable bowel syndrome and acid reflux all under umbrella of gastric discomfort. All one needs is modifying diet and lifestyle. Small frequent meals, avoiding triggers in diet like alcohol, soda, beverages, spices, processed canned foods , smoking, cheese, dairy products etc. Use more fiber and fluids. Fresh fruits and vegetables help. Use yogurt with peppermint . More important is exercise. Brisk walk for 30 to 45 minutes daily is helpful and necessary.

For peace of mind you may get evaluated for other causes of gastric discomfort like H pylori infection, any ulcer in the stomach or duodenum, acid reflux manometry and 24 hours PH monitoring if the symptoms persist. Consult your physician locally and let them help you in this regard.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan

Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 days later
Sounds good. I will continue with walking every night. If I may ask on a related note, the persistent RUQ pain has been occuring for about 2 years now which came on one day and has persisted since. The odd thing is that applying pressure relieves it. Could this possibly be something serious as well (for how long its been going on)? I havent had lost weight or had any jaundice so im sure what to think .
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
No worries, supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

There is almost no chance of such pain responding to supportive care and slight pressing , being serious but still there is no harm to get evaluated for any underlying cause. With all your work up being normal in past , i dont see any reason to be worried about , so hang in there and wait and observe and modify diet and lifestyle and focus on supportive care and hope for the best.
Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan