• question-icon

What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hi ,
I have disc herniation problem in the lower back. I have taken an MRI and the report is attached.
1) I am on IPT and IFT for lower back for past 20 days and there is a considerable improvement in the pain.
2) Started lower back strengthing exercises.
3) Do I really need a surgery or can physiotherapy solve my problem?

Need your help in the treatment procedure.

-Siva
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you are improving , no need for surgery at preseny.

Detailed Answer:
Hi , I am Dr Gopal Goel , Orthopedic Surgeon.
As per report you have Multiple Disc Prolapse mainly at L4-5 causing severe canal stenosis with (R) root compression.
In my practice and generally more than 90% patients do not require operation. Since you are Improving by physio and exercises , I would not recommend any surgery. However , you should continue exercises and precautions and exercises even after pain is fully relieved to prevent recurrence.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 53 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your reply.

In What scenario I should think to have a surgery.

How successful are these surgeries nowadays? What are the complications/risk after the surgery? Is there any risk of getting paralyzed?

Any good hospital in XXXXXXX for surgery.

Any specific physiotherapy I need to perform to get rid of the pain.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery only if no improvemrnt and worsening of condition.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
In my opinion surgery is required if your symptoms are not improving after 6 weeks of non surgical treatment or if the condition is worsening.
Surgery is quite successful , generally no side effects . It depends on your condition , surgeon and operation theatre . Risk of paralysis is generally not there . But as with any surgery ,some side effects like infection could be there ,and your surgeon will tell you in details about all possible complications .
I have no personal knowledge of any specific surgeon or hospital, but there should be many good places in place like XXXXXXX
As for physiotherapy is concerned - I Normally reduce physio over time and lay more stress on precautions and exercises.
Thanx
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 6 hours later
can i drive four wheeeler
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Four wheeler drive for short distance only.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Since you are improving , you can drive four wheeler only for short distances preferably with some back support like belt or extra cushions in the back.
Thanx for the question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 41 hours later
Hi Doctor,

My back pain is considerably reduced after 4 weeks now.But I have few more queries to ask.

1) While sitting in the office I feel a burning sensation in both my legs. But No Numbness. Is the nerve still pinched. As soon as I move my leg is fine and then comes back in the new position.

2) The pinching back pain is almost gone but I feel it sometimes. When Can I expect the pain to fully go?

3) I have been in IPT and IFT for a month now. Can I continue it till my pain is fully relieved with extension exercises in the home?

4) Do we have any side effects of IPT or IFT?

5) Is hamstring also due to lower back pain?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please find answers below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,I am Dr Gopal Goel , Orthopedic Surgeon.
1. Burning sensation means that the pressure is not totally relieved . It might take some more time 6-8 weeks maybe.
2.Pain will gradually go but some remaining stiffness may persist for 6-8 weeks more.
3. As I have said earlier , I discontinue physiotherapy except exercises after the pain is less. More physiotherapy is of no use except mental satisfaction.
4. IFT and Traction virtually have no side effects.
5.Hamstrins are supplied by same nerves - so the cause is usually the same.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon