• question-icon

What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Good Morning, My name is Chris, and recently i applied for a DSP, and centrelink has rejected it on the grounds that i did'nt give them enough information, however, the last MRI i had was at the end of April and the results were as follows: Impression: 1.Multilevel degenerative signal changes involving the lumbar spine as described. 2.Multilevel degenerative changes of the lumbar intervertebral discs with multilevel degenerative canal stenosis as described. Kindly refer to the body of the report for changes at each level. 3.Broard based posterocentral disc osteophyte complex protrusion at L5-S1 indents the thecal sac and left nerve root. I have two other CT scans that were taken a couple of years apart as well. Now, the amazing thing here is, a person, who centrelink calls an Approved Review Officer, rejected this, while having absolutely NO medical background, what so ever, which means he/she is only a clerk who is reading a criteria, and then making a decision about my pain and well being and my health. I would really like to know if my back has a serious problem as i have been told, or is the clerk right, he says i'll be fine. Your oppinion on this would be greatly appreciated. I need to know how a clerk can overide a Doctors medical decision, and how many other people are out there suffering like me because of it. I look forward to your earliest reply, and thank you for your time on this matter. Yours Sincerely, Chris.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
A significant disc prolapse

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

As you said,even i am surprised to know that a clerk can override a doctor's decision on such significant issues.

From the reports ,it seems that you have a significant disc prolapse at L5-S1 lumbar level.
This is causing nerve root compression leading to pain.

Its a simple thing that,unless this compressed nerve is released,the pain is bound to happen and this won't get cured spontaneously.

Treatment in the form of either Physiotherapy (Lumbar traction,Infra red,short wave diathermy,back exercises) or surgical decompression are essential.

Considering long term implications,i would suggest you to go for physiotherapy first and see for the results.It is always better to avoid surgery to avoid its long term complications and the risk involved.

Consult a good neurosurgeon and do not depend on review officer as far as such crucial decision making is concerned.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon