• question-icon

What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: reports of my mother 59 yrs MRI attached. doctor has advised surgury as below
C5-6 discertomy and fusion
C4-5 ACDF

they have informed of 2 types of graft XXXXXXX and imported which has price diff. of around rs. 30,000.
Please suggest is which one to prefer.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgery required, imported graft preferable

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
The report is showing significant nerve root compression and surgery is required if medication trial has failed.
The graft material is used to fuse the adjacent vertebrae after disc is removed.
The quality of graft material doesnot differ much. There is high likelihood of proper sterilization and processing of graft material imported from outside. The decision is yours.
You can also discuss with the operating surgeon.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist