What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 13 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My father had a fall on 5th feb post and hurt his right knee.Initially the doctor said its a muscle tear and should be fine within 15 days. There was still swelling and pain in the joint. Yesterday, the doctor did the MRI and below are the findings:
Fluid seen around knee joinet extending into suprapatellar bursa, Hoffman's pad, intercondylar notch- suggestive of mild to moderate joint effusion. Linear intensity seen with disruption of middle 1/3rd of ACL-S/o grade -III tear. Buckling seen in PCL. Loose bodies seen around knee joint- suggestive of osteochondritis desiccants. Linear signal intensity seen posterior horn of medical meniscus-S/o grade I tear. Subcondral fracture seen in posterolateral corner of tibia. Irregular articular margins, subchondral cyst seen along articular margins of patella-femoral joints, spine of tibia and posteorolateral corner of tibia-S/o osteochondritis.

Please suggest what needs to be done- The doctor has suggested to massage with ice and physiotherapy. Is there any thing that can be done to correct the broken bone?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Knee replacement

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

There is no broken bone. Only a torn ACL Ligament and confluent knee cartilage damage due to a disease called Osteochondritis dessicans.

The cartilage chips have broken off and are floating in the knee joint fluid.

Only knee replacement is the cure but this depends on his symptoms. If it hurts much after 6 weeks with knee instability on climbing downhill then it can be considered.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad