What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Brain Tumor
Question: I have had a MRI done on my brain which shows that I have a growing Acoustic Neuroma size 14x7x5mm.
I have seen two ENT specialists who both take one look at the report and say that having this tumour removed is not recommended.
I am77yrs old and have lived my whole life with very mild cerebral palsy which affects my right side slightly. eg I walk with a slight limp, and have limited use in my right hand. but can hold parcels etc in this hand.
Until a few years ago I lived a full and active life, swimming, walking, climbing. My condition has not stopped me from leading a very normal life, living and travelling to many different countries.
In the MRI report I am seeking to know what the following are: Perinatal ischaemia, Gliotic change, perinatal insult.
After my latest MRI scan which was done a couple of days ago my GP is planning to arrange for me to see
Professor Foote, who is head of Gamma ray surgery at XXXXXXX XXXXXXX hospital in Brisbane.
But will he take one look at the MRI report as the first two specialists did and read about Perinatal ischaemia and gliotic change, and refuse to operate. Why would he do this if my condition has allowed me to live a very normal and useful life for 77 years. I need to have this treatment as I have become very unsteady and need a cane to help me. I have also lost hearing in my right ear. I am also the primary carer for my wife 78 years who has parkinsons, and needs my help at all times.
IF you can explain the words that I have mentioned in this letter it will help when I next see my GP.
Thanks XXXXXXX Chaning-Pearce
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Acoustic neuroma

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Acoustic neuroma is a cranial nerve tumour. It is a very slow growing tumour. The decision of surgery depends upon the symptoms. If there is not much increase in size on repeat scans or if there are no much symptoms, surgery is not recommended as age related implications also apply. This tumour is observed with SERIAL MRI scans every year to look for any abrupt changes.
Gliotic changes are age related changes in the brain. perinatal ischemia and insult mean the same I.e. there is decreased blood supply in that region which can be tumour related or can be an age related change.
The decision of further treatment will depend on the examination by a specialist to see what symptoms are there or if there is any nerve deficit.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 9 hours later
Thank you doctor. This is exactly what I needed to know
Many thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acoustic neuroma

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It would be my pleasure to help you in future too. Anymore questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng