What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I received the results of an MRI of the brain which found" Minimal white matter disease consistent with chronic small vessel ischemia. " "A few minimal foci of increased T2/FLAIR signal lesions are identified
within the centrum semiovale bilaterally, consistent with minimal chronic small vessel ischemic disease."
I am 57, do not smoke, good cholesterol, am not diabetic or have any other risk factors. I do have Raynauds. Should I be worried about this finding?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
The mri finding suggest changes in brain due to small vessels involvement.
Hypertension, raynauds and aging can lead to such changes.
Get renal function test, liver function test and vitamin B12 levels done.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
I will follow your guidance. Can this condition be managed or will this condition become progressively worse and at what rate? Is this a somewhat normal finding?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated as advised

Detailed Answer:
The age related progression is usually slow.
If other risk factors are absent then prognosis is relatively good.
Wishing you good health and early recovery .
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D