What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I saw the specialist yesterday due to neck, shoulder, arm and hand weakness and numbness. My MRI shows nerve inpigement in C4 & C5 with bulging disc into the spinal cord. He feels confused as my hand weakness and numbness is in my pinkie and ring finger which matches ulna nerve. I am having an ultra sound on my elbow on friday and a nerve conduction test again. I had this problem 5 years ago and the nerve conduction test showed the nerve working. I hardly do much at the weekend as I want to be fit enough for work. So my life is kind of on hold because I struggle to do things without causing more pain. I cannot lift arm above shoulder hight.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
the main goal is physiotherapy and spinal straightening exercises otherwise a neurosurgeon intervention if cant withstand the pain after long medical treatments .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using healthcaremagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

From your given history you have cervical radiating pain due to nerve compression . this condition is common with aging and in some cases pain resolve simultaneously .
You have mentioned that you had this issue 5 years ago , you also mentioned ant inflammatory , lyrica and physiotherapy .
Briefly in most of cases physiotherapy and chiropractor sessions are the most effective and with maintaining healthy life style and spinal straightening exercises and gives good results with patients .
In mild to moderate cases we may add steroid injections , B12 vitamin supplementation , in post menopausal women osteoporosis may exaggerate such cases , with the hot massages with topical gels and muscle relaxants will be fine for 6 consecutive months.
In more severe or complicated cases a minor endoscopic intervention are suggested by a neurosurgeon to free your spinal nerve roots , dissectomy of the disc bulging by surgery or even may need fixation with rods and plates in more complicated cases .
Follow up X rays and MRI and a neurosurgeon point of view is needed in such cases for the sake of spinal injuries .
For now i recommend you follow these instructions and try to loose weight , maintain physical activity and spinal straightening exercises with a good chiropratcor with some patience will be fine and nowadays hot massages and even yoga may be helpful.

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D