What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: HI i had an MRI 3 years ago to check for pituitary tumour as prolactin reading was high. It was clear. My prolactin reading is 1300 today and i wonder can a petuitary tumour grow that quick

Female aged 49 years with high stress last 5 months
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rolyprexa can cause high prolactin levels:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
If the MRI resulted negative 3 years ago, the most probable cause of high prolactine level is the high TSH level (if underactive thyroid is not treated correctly and the TSH is still high) and Rolyprexa is a medication that can cause high prolactine level as a side effect.
Prolactinoma is rare at your age, so i would not recommend a second MRI, until you are sure that TSH is normal and consult with your psychiatrist about the possibility of changing rolyprexa.
Hope i have been helpful.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 42 minutes later
Would peri menopause also effect it

Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Menopause can lower prolactin;

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back!
During the menopause the prolactin level has a tendency to get lower, if it caused by prolactinoma.
If there are other causes, it will be high as long as the cause is not removed or treated.
Wish you good health,
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta