What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I was told that what I believe was a mid brain or cerebellum lesion stroke was a lesion recrudescence from a [prior large lesion on my cerebellum even though I am now experiencing complications and symptoms that are the same as survivors of stroke experience/ I am told these are conversion disorder symptoms .
I do not usnderstand how this could be and the neurologist refuses an MRI and referred me to a psychiatrist even though I had a whiplash roll over a couple months earlier and a TBI 20 years ago resulting in a concave fx of my occiptial bone.
I cant find anything really about recurdence or how I could make up symptoms that are related to stroke and recovery that I know nothing about.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Brain MRI is still necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic,

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

If there is suspected recrudescence from an old brain lesion, it is necessary first to know what was the diagnosis of the old brain lesion.

It is necessary also to know the imaging study details that showed this recrudescence and the old brain lesion.

In the other hand, whiplash in rare cases may be accompanied by neck vessels damage such dissection of carotid or vertebral arteries that may predispose to stroke.

Conversion disorder symptoms may be a possibility, but, first is necessary to exclude these conditions ( brain lesion, artery dissection ) and MRI with vascular protocol is necessary.

Fracture of occipital bone 20 years ago doesn't play a role in your symptoms.

In conclusion, brain MRI is necessary to understand better your condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy