What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: DOES STENOSIS OF THE CERICAL SPINE HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH BULBAR PALSY. HUSBAND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BULBAR ALS.(MND).BUT ALSO MRI OF CERICAL SPINE SHOWED STENOSIS OF CERICAL SPINE, COULD THEY BE RELATED? DOTTY S.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not related.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I am afraid the bulbar form of motor neuron disease is not linked to stenosis of the cervical spine. Bulbar functions are dependent from neurons which are situated in the brain stem, in the skull, at a higher level that the spinal cord and cervical spine. Meanwhile the stenosis would cause symptoms from that point downwards. So cervical spine stenosis wouldn't cause any bulbar symptoms.

It might be considered in other forms of ALS, in the case of symptoms affecting the limbs, as it may cause some symptoms present both in ALS as well as cervical spine stenosis. Not in the bulbar form though.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.