What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: HI,
Can you explain my MRI results in plain English? I have occasional pain (severe) on the right side of my upper neck. The pain is about 20 to 30 seconds in duration. I have pain radiating down my right arm into my right hand.
IMPRESSION:
1. C2-C3: 1-2 mild central protrusion with associated annular fissuring.
2. C4-C5: Mild loss of disc height, a 1 mm broad-based posterior disc osteophyte complex, and endplate spurs
anteriorly.
3. C5-C6: Mild loss of disc height, a 2 mm broad central protrusion, and endplate spurs anteriorly.
4. C6-C7: Moderate left neural foraminal narrowing, where there is a 2 mm central/left paracentral protrusion,
left uncovertebral hypertrophy, and endplate spurs anteriorly.
5. C7-T1: 1 mm central protrusion.
6. Straightening of the normal cervical lordosis.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Degenative cervical spine disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Regarding to MRI results and your symptoms, there are two conditions diagnosed:

- cervical spine arthritis ( bone spurs and uncovertebral hypertrophy )

- degenative and herniated disc disease of the cervical spine ( lowering of intervertebral discs height and protrusion ).

The neural foraminal narrowing is found at the left side, so it isn't responsible for symptoms of the right hand.

Both, bone spurs and disc protrusions, can cause your symptoms by compression of nerves and spinal cord.

Treatment in the first stages is conservative and consists on rest, NSAID drugs, physical therapy with the aim of strengthening neck muscles and reducing cervical joints loading.

These issues should be discussed with your primary care Doctor.

Hope I helped you,

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Doctor,

Thank you. This is very helpful.

XXXXXXX Tull
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Glad I helped you.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar