What does my MRI report indicate?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hello,
I have the following on an MRI of my pelvis. Could you please tell me what my risks for this being malignant are, and the reasons why?

"there is a complex, smoothly marginated lesion involving the left ovary which measures 3.6cm is sagittal diameter. 3.1 in transverse diameter by 3.7 cm in length. This lesion demonstrates uniformly high T2 signals with heterogenous T1 signals including foci of high and low t1 signals. The foci of high T1 signal do not disappear on fat supressed images. This lesion therefore does not appear to be dermoid in nature. Endometrioma, neoplasm and a complex debris containing ovarian cyst should be considered in the differential diagnosis. The lesion does not appear to be a simple cyst. "
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Generally this is not a very serious issue.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to Healthcaremagic,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

Your findings suggests a complex cyst in left ovary.
It may be due to many causes like chocolate cyst,infective,malignancy etc.
Generally this is not a very serious issue.You may only need follow up ultrasound.
But it is important to rule out malignancy also,so you may need CA-125 estimation.This is a tumour marker for ovarian malignancy.

So,don't worry at all.Please go for further investigation.

Get well soon.

Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr. Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 26 minutes later

I get that. As I am quite literate in healthcare after the past few years. But what is it that makes this not "a serious issue". Is there something in the report, because when you say malignancy, I think serious.

Thanks for the help! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I mean to say that this a generally a benign condition.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to Healthcaremagic,

Not a serious issue,I mean to say that this a generally a benign condition and it is expected that it may disappear or decrease in size in follow up ultrasound.
It is important to see whether size is increasing or complexity is increasing or not.

In such findings, tumour marker is always advised to rule out malignancy as we can't take chance.

In short,don't think about worse.As there is no solid component in cyst,chances of malignancy is very low.

Get well soon.

Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr. Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 21 hours later
Thank you,

I am going for laproscopy surgery on January 15th, so hopefully this will resolve this issue. Is there anything I should tell them before they go in? Since my exam it has become quite painful, whereas before it was just a small pain.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should go for surgery.It is expected to resolve after surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to Healthcaremagic,

If cyst is causing symptoms like pain,discomfort etc then surgical removal is the definitive treatment.
Pain in such cysts is usually due to hemorrhage or infection.

Get well soon.

Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr. Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj