What does my HSV test report indicate?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: 10 days post exposure without symptoms of tiny grouped vecicles and sores but burn in penis and uncomfortable feeling in groin...the burn started second day, took 250mg antibiotic but still not completely gone...could it still be sign of herpes? Did test yesterday and result is HSV-II 0.143 COI ECLIA
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Herpes can occur even after ten to 12 days.

Detailed Answer:

Hi,Welcome to HCM,

Your HSV II report is within normal range only, so not to worry about that.

Burning in penis is generally due to urinary tract infections with gram -ve bacilli or with other atypical infections..

Candida infection can also be transmitted by unprotected sex.

Best way to manage is with penicillin group of medicines. Cefexime can be given for five days under guidance of your doctor. Local application of Clotrimazole cream on the glans penis helps cure any fungal ( candida) infections.

Herpes can be diagnosed if there are any eruptions.

I think you should just give it some time and maintain personal hygiene.

Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ravi Bansal 15 hours later
Thank you doctor for your answers and advice, really appreciate it. I shall do that
I am attaching a lab report test that i did last thursday which is exactly 8.5 days post exposure "condom broke", do you advise that i should repeat the test again later? Or is it accurate enough?.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can retest HIV hcv and hbv

Detailed Answer:

HIV, HBV and HCV CAN BE RETESTED AFTER ONE MONTH.

if possible try to get them tested in blood sample from your partner. if not possible best is to repeat after one month.

other test for herpes is not of much use if there are no symptoms.

best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D