What does my HIDA scan report indicate?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have constant pain and heaviness in my right side and was asked by the Gastroentologist to do HIDA scan. The ejection fraction is 46% so was told that is normal rate. Can you please advise if there is any chance this fraction can go up to near 90%.

Also the heaviness which I feel will that go away of I follow good diet. By good diet what kinds of food I need to eat and what to avoid can anyone please advise in details that will be very helpful. I have good convection oven can I try baked food.

I want to go back to my normal life will I be able to do that. Please advise.

xxxxxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Why you want the ejection fraction to go up to 90%?

Dr.R.K
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 13 hours later

I just want to go back to my normal life with no gall bladder issues and my gall bladder to be healthy. Currently I am feeling heaviness and pain. My recent HIDA scan result has 46% ejection fraction. So will I be able to go back to my normal life.
What to do for that, please advise.

xxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
46% is within normal limits

Detailed Answer:
Gall Bladder ejection fraction of less than 35% is considered abnormal.
Your Gall Bladder ejection fraction is 46% is well within the normal range and should not be causing any gall bladder issue.

So you need not worry about it.

Dr.R.K.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later

Can you please let me know if the heaviness which I feel on my right abdomen usually where gallbladder stays, will it go away. And will the ejection fraction improve to a better one like 75% +.

What kind of food shall I eat and What to avoid? Can I eat baked food.

xxxxxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
Postprandial distress syndrome?

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms could be due to post prandial distress syndrome.
You would get benefited by taking Itopride 50 mg thrice daily before food.

The current EF itself is good enough.
Kindly avoid oily food. Optimize fiber intake. Yes you can eat baked food.

Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 23 hours later

Thank you for answering my question, but will my ejection fraction improve and will pain and heaviness go away permanently if I take this medicine.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Can you please explain what is this Postprandial distress syndrome. What can cause this to syndrome to me? How can I remove this from my life and get back my normal life. Is that possible that this heaviness and pain go away permanently? Is this pain due to gall bladder ejection fraction at 46%. I visited a Gastroentologist and he has mentioned that is due to the ejection fraction and advised surgery on the gall bladder which I do not want to do.

xxxxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 days later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms that you have constitute the post prandial distress syndrome.
It is a functional disorder.
Check your blood glucose level and get tested for H,pylori infection.
Taking Itopride as suggested earlier would provide relief.
No, this pain is not due to GB EF of 46%.
There is no need for surgery.

Dr.R.K.

Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 days later

Thank you for answering to my question. I did get tested for H pylori once and it turned negative. You have mentioned pain is die to the postprandial distress syndrome but what about the constant heaviness which I feel on my right abdomen, how can I get relief from that permanently. I am currently not having oily foods or fried food. But if once in a while I put till more oil while cooking I get pain, and my rectum tears during my bowel movement, and then there is pain only on my left leg. I had this earlier so my Gastroentologist suggested to do Colonoscopy and removed 2 benign polyps and then it stopped for a while. I asked him why is this happening again because I have read in internet these are signs of the cancer. He strictly mentioned that is not true as he has checked my colon and all are good.

Then why does it tear every time I eat food when the proportion of oil is little more, this is really troubling me. Can I get relief from this heaviness.

Currently I am in US, so will this medicine Itopride 50 mg be available here.
Please advise Doctor, as this is worrying me for a long time.

xxxxxxxxx