What does my EEG test report indicate?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Nov 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Dear Doctor, My father recently had dizziness and lost control. We got his EEG done and report shows complex partial seizure. What does it mean and what is the treatment?
Rgds,
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Complex partial seizures are a type of 'Fits'.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

To make it easy,complex partial seizures are a type of fits.However,they are not like the classical fits known to common men where an individual undergoing a fit has jerky movements of limbs,turning of neck,uprolling of eye balls,frothing from mouth or tongue bite followed by loss of consciousness.
Instead, complex partial seizures may result in loss of awareness for for sometime and then the individual becomes normal.He/she may not even know whether anything happened to him/her.He may also have abnormal movements,like lip smacking,swallowing,chewing like movements or running after others,during the event.

Sometimes,patient may have dizziness or vertigo,vision abnormalities,excessive sweating,flushing,alteration in hearing or psychic/behavioral symptoms-during the episode.

EEG during the event or even after the event may be of help in clinching the diagnosis.MRI Brain must always be sought for to see for the structural causes of seizures.

If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)