What does my ECG report indicate?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My daughter had an abnormal ecg, it says unconfirmed interpretation but it also says sinus rhythm (slow). Probable anterior ifarct. Minor inferior recolonization disturbance. Flat or low negative T in aVF. With negative T in III. She has he of coarctation repair at 9 days old, and a bicuspid aortic valve. They didn't seemed to concerned but couldn't really tell me what all this means, she has a cardiologist appt on the 23rd, can you help me understand all of this?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to do a 2D-Echocardiography

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.

This is Dr Sameer, Cardiologist.

The ECG changes you are describing here could be because of the repaired coarctation of aorta which makes some changes in the heart & are reflected on ECG.

So, as it has been repaired, you need not worry. But as she also has a bicuspid aortic valve which is very common in patients with coarctation, I'd recommend to do a 2D-Echocardiography to see for pressure changes in the heart, if any.

I wish her a happy and healthy life.

Feel free to ask further.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 16 minutes later
Does it make a differnce that the repair was done 19 years ago?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it does not

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

The coarctation must be working fine. But it makes some changes in heart which are reflected on the ECG and so does Bicuspid aortic valve.

Actually what exactly it is, that coarctation is like a blockage or resistance to flow of blood for heart. This causes increased muscle mass of heart & some change in axis. Heart now has to apply more pressure to overcome this resistance.

All these changes are reflected on ECG.

These changes go away over time after the repair. Only thing is that, these pressures & changes should not increase.

So, these ECG changes are the reflection of those changes only and you need to correlate it with a 2D Echo.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any more doubt, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks