What does my CT scan test result indicate?

Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: A CT scan shows nasopharyngeal enlargement with effacement of rosenmuller's fossa. Also a few lymph nodes nearby (parotid) infammed with necrosis. What all does this imply?
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Commonest site of cancer- fossa of rossen muller

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having lymph node
enlargement with nasopharyngeal enlargement (ct scan).

Based on your clinical details, it appears to be nasopharyngeal growth. It could be benign ( simple) or malignant ( cancer). Most likely cancer ( commonest site is fossa of rossen muller).

I suggest you to do fine needle aspiration cytology of lymph node with biopsy of growth under anaesthesia. Commonest site for cancer is fossa of rossen muller.

In my opinion, you need to evaluate with the above investigations. Kindly discuss with your treating doctor about the investigations.

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 18 hours later
Thanks Dr Siddiqh.

A few more details about this case (I got the full report just now) it reads "Peripherally enhancing lymph nodes, two in number, are seen adjacent right parotid gland of sizes 1.3 x 1.2cm and 1.5 x 1.0cm, with internal hypodensities S/o necrotic nodes. An intra parotid node is also seen of size 0.8 x 1.3cm with surrounding fat stranding and inflammation. Rest of the parotid gland is unremarkable.

Mild assymetric enlargement of right posterior nasopharynx is noted with enlargement of Tensor veli palatine and levator veli palatine with effacement of Fossa of Rossenmuller. There is no evidence of enhancing foci seen in this region"

Please let me know about these things.
Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fine needle aspiration cytology of node, biopsy of the lesion and MRI

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Thanks for considering my answer and for your follow up.

Necrotic lymph nodes also seen in benign ( viral infections), and metastasis ( cancer extending from primary site).

Posterior nasopharynx, fossa of rossen muller and enlargment of muscles ( tensor and levator vali paltini ) suggest some growth causing asymmetry of normal structures.

In localising the exact extent and character of the soft tissue growth, MRI imaging is quite useful (ct scan for bone, soft tissue- MRI).

In my opinion, You need to do further ( already mentioned) investigations to have exact diagnosis.

All the best. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj