What does my CT scan test report indicate?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello doc,

My mother is complaining about problem in ear and nose. CT scan of Paranasal sinuses suggests "Patchy mucosal thickening of bilateral maxillary sinuses and ethmoidal air cells" and CT scan of Temporal bones suggests "Soft tissue opacification involving left middle ear cavity and mastoid air cells". Please suggest what does that mean?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Left middle ear infection should be treated immediately

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. Patchy mucosal thickening of bilateral maxillary sinuses and ethmoidal cells is a benign finding related to inflammation of walls of sinuses. This is not a concern and shows that the person is likely to get sinus infection that might be treated with medicines.

2. The central part of the nose is S shaped and probably this is the reason for the sinus infection.

3. Soft tissue opacification involving left middle ear cavity and mastoid cells shows that the left middle ear is having chronic infection. There is pus formation which is also entering the bone near by. This if not treated then it might become serious and cause hearing loss and problem in brain.

Hope your query is answered
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek