• question-icon

What does my CT scan report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello after a bad workup by a physio I had ongoing tennitis I then had the worst flu of my life in march of this year after that resolved my tennitis became much worse and I had terrific pain in my ears mosly it feels as though the pain is below both ears in a semi-circle fashion the tinnitus is unbearable after 7pm all I've been given has been pain killers and now they are not working . A ENT Dr. said I looked ok a CT scan I was told at emerg recently said no infection fluid and pressure they said . So for 3 months I have been suffering greatly. Can you pls. advise.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
The tinnitus and pain after an episode of flu is due to Eustachian tube blockage. But at an elderly age there is age related sensory neural loss that too can cause tinnitus.
You should get a pure tone audiometry done and send me the pictures of your throat.
Please tell me do you have any hearing difficulty also?
what medicines have u been taking so far?
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 21 hours later
Dear Dr. Yes I have hearing loss in both ears now three tests told me moderate to severe . I took Cipro dex ear drops in april o effect ,amoxicillin in may Cipro and Cephalexinin XXXXXXX I was told to get Cipro-dex again but no effect also auralgan but it had a terrible feeling so I stopped it as well. Right now I have terrible pain 10 out of 10 terrible ringing I was told to take 1000mg of Tylenol and hydromonprone 0.5 I,am not getting answers only pain meds no tests being offered.I have other symptoms as well vertigo dizziness bright lights sensitiveity to noise vision is bad in upper range no appitite can't sleep nausea . These symptoms have been bothering me since a bad phsio workup in aug 2016 but all increased after the bad flu I also had diarrhea from eating some stale dated samosas I didn.t notice the date until after I had 4 of them They beef but didn't taste very good. I had my tonsils out at 14 yra old. I was told I could have a decompression by the first emerg doc the second doc told me she never questions out heard of a decompression for the ear she told me maybe they would offer me a lift in the ear .I was in to see a ENT recently but he kept it quite short and I couldn't get all my questions out and that was it .Can you pls. advise. Regards

De?ar Dr. Would you be kind and suggest a way to clear the blocked eustation tubes . Is there a test for the condition you speak of ? Also I wanted to mention that I had a nosebleed out of my right nostril witch is the side of worst pain and ringing and the tinnitus and pain went away for 12 to 18hrs. or so but came back and is constant it does not come in attacks from time to time but has now continued to increase in intensity that is to say the tinnitus has increased the pain has possibly gone down on the right side. Pls. respond .Thank you and kind Regards.
.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
The tinnitus is due to hearing loss as well as eustachian tube blockage. You might be having a right side deviation in nasal septum causing nasal bleed as well as right side eustachian tube blockage and hence all the symptoms.
You should get a CT PARANASAL SINUSES DONE and an impedance audiometry done.
Start taking tablet cinnarizine twice daily and xylometazoline nasal drops three times a day.
Take all for a week.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available at prescription only.
Please send me the audiometry report done.
Follow up with the reports so that I can suggest you better and prescribe you accordingly.
Wish you get well soon.
Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 8 hours later
Dear Dr. Thanks for your kind reply. I have a left sided deviated nasel septum which has given me allergic or non allergic rhinitis for 25 yrs. Which has been worsening I did have CT scan at emerg of ear areas June24 that is all I know .To get the prescription you recommended I will have to go to a walk in clinic as family doc closed today .When there I can ask if my CT scan is in Netcare . I have had 3 auditory tests done . I have copies of the first and second both are the same /
The tech on one said I did have a moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears. Is this the kind of auditory reports you are referring to? Thank you.

Dear Dr. just as supplemental it was my right side that had the nosebleed my problem side . But the deviated septum is on the left side thanks again xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage with hearing impairment and epistaxis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
It is better if you can send me the reports. The reports can tell us the type and amount of hearing loss and the management will depend on this. You can send me the audiometry done.
The nasal bleed from opposite side of deviation in nasal septum is due to either a septal spur or nasal mucosal changes.
You should start using the prescribed medicines.You will definitely be benefited.
I can suggest you better once I see the reports.
Wish you get well soon.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist