• question-icon

What does my CT scan report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: On Friday I was eating chicken wings and suddenly felt a small sharp bone enter my tonsil area. I swept it to the right side thinking I could retrieve it . Went to the bath and swept my tonsil with a finger. I dug around in a pocket in the tonsil...feeling sure I would sweep it out. I Never located it. I do not recall swallowing it. Two days later on Monday I went to see my doctor a very brilliant physician He looked the best he could and called in a favor to have me seen by the best ent he knew as I am scheduled to go on a trip in a few days and be gone for a week. TUESDAY I am seen by the ENT. He looked with the mirror found nothing, then he numbed me up and went in thru the nose with a scope...he did quite a bit of looking and showed me the shots he had taken seems to have been a comprehensive study. Nothing was found , but he explained that there were fleshy areas that he couldn't fully see. He advised me too have a c.t.scan at the local hospital. He would wait for the results, and call my cell with a thumbs up or down. Ok I got to the hospital and was unable to get the CT SCAN due to an insurance preauthorization requirement that could not be gotten until the next day. I talked back with the ENT and he recommended that I get an xray at the very least. They took 2 views. The ENT
CALLS me and says that the xray did not show anything, but that he would still recommend the ct scan. I told him I would get back to him if it got worse.
My concern is the amount of radiation associated with the scan especially since I have had a lot of xrays over the years. I am a 50 yo male with a prosthetics aortic valve. My question is this. In your opinion given the above actions already taken, would it be safe for me to forgo the scan (thus avoiding the radiation) and the cost of the scan and go on my week-long trip? Also is my google acquired fear of the ct warranted? Is it safe to skip the ct entirely?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is better to go for CT scan.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to HealthcareMagic,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

I suggest for CT scan as you have persistent discomfort.
Direct visualization can assess limited areas and it can't comment on whole area.

So,it is better to go for CT scan.
Radiation dose due to CT scan of neck is far less than the maximum allowable safe dose.

Get well soon.

Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr. Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist