What does my CT scan report indicate?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have been having black specks about the size of a flake of pepper along with white specs appearung in my urine for roughly a week now. It burns to urinate so I went to the ER. I thought it may be kidney stones, but the CT scan did not show any and the UTI test came back negative. All the urologist in my area is backed up for two more weeks and I have no idea what is going on. I know this frequent irination is driving me nuts and so is the burning. do you have any idea what may be causing this? Is there anything I can do at home to ease the discomfort?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be crystalluria

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history well and understood your concerns.
To recapitulate: Male/34 - black specks of the size of flake of pepper with white specks in urine - a week - frequency + - burning urination - ER - CT scan normal and UTI test negative - wants to know the cause and anything you can do at home....

As per the history you have provided, this looks to be due to a condition called crystalluria, in which there is formation and passage of the things like you described and this will not be seen on ultrasound/X-ray or CT scan.
Urine examination can show the positive finding.
Passage of such things cause urethra to be traumatized giving burning and frequency.

I would advise you the following:
Repeat Urine test for Routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity.
Get started on proper antibiotic if there is evidence of infection.
Urinary alkalinizer to keep urine alkaline.
Plenty of oral fluids.

I hope, this answer helps you. Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
thank you for your reply, I greatly appreciate it! Can this also be the case if the urine is not cloudy? My urine is pretty clear, very little yellow tint to it, also my testing for UTI at the er showed my ph level at 7.0 and they have that marked as normal.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urine can be clear

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
This can be a case even if urine is not cloudy.
Yellow tint also indicates less water intake.
Ph of 7 means neutral and absolutely okay.
Please feel free to ask for any further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.