What does my CT scan report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I had been diagnosed with kidney disease because my gfr was below 60. A nephrologist gave me this diagnoses. I have no symptoms. I have no other unusually blood work. I contacted a urologist for a second opinion and had a CT scan with contrast today.
Below is my impression:
1. mild right hydronephrosis. This is mild prominence of the right proximal and mid ureter without focal level of obstruction, filling defect or mass.
2. no enhancing renal masses are identified.
3. evidence of granulomatous disease involving the right chest and spleen
What does this mean, what should be done now. Does this hurt my life span.
I have had pneumonia 3 times. Once was severe. I am healthy in everyday that I know of, I exercise, weigh 130, 5'4' non smoker, light drinker
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ureteral Stenosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Here are my interpretations

1. It looks like you have a block in the ureter which needs to be taken care of. You must approach a urologist for a urteroscopy where they put a small camera and visualise the obstruction. The obstruction is relieved by passing a stent after dilatation.
2. Granulomatous disease is commonly by tuberculosis. Tuberculosis might also be the cause for right hydronephrosis where it causes urteric stricture. Please approach a pulmonologist for a bronchoscpy, I strongly recommend that this is done as soon as possible. The lavage from the bronchoscopy has to be sent for pathological investigation.
3. Most common causes for difficult to treat pneumonia and recurrent pneumonia is tuberculosis

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
I had histoplasmosis as a child. I lived by the Ohio River. I knew U had scare tissue on my lungs. Could this be what has been going on instead of tuberculosis?

My pneumonia was 15 years ago
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Histoplasmosis is not known to cause uretric stricture

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for clarifying that with me. If the scar tissue has been long standing then I don't think it is of concern.
Histoplasmosis is not known to cause uretric stricture. You must undergo urological evaluation to know the cause for the stricture.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist